Shane W. Tseng is a complex civil litigator with twenty years of experience. His practice focuses on representing businesses and/or their stakeholders in disputes that cannot be easily resolved. Mr. Tseng represents clients in consumer and shareholder class actions, commercial and contract disputes, and business tort litigation. He has been successful at all stages of litigation—dismissal of the pleadings, summary judgment, jury and bench trials, and appellate proceedings. He also advises clients on ways to avoid litigation, minimize litigation risk, and strategically position themselves for litigation. Mr. Tseng also represents clients in investigations by U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, California Department of Justice, and other government agencies.
Mr. Tseng received his B.A. in Economics and Political Science from the University of California, Los Angeles and his J.D. from University of Southern California, Gould School of Law. He started, and spent the first ten years of, his legal career at Arnold & Porter LLP, a Am Law 100 firm. Thereafter, he was a partner at Hirschmann & Tseng LLP and Lamb & Kawakami LLP.
Mr. Tseng’s representative matters include:
Complex Commercial/Business Disputes
- Defended a monoline financial guaranty company in a fraud suit by issuers of $130 million in Select Auction Variable Rate Securities.
- Defended a national bank in a suit alleging discriminatory lending practices and California Unruh Act violations.
- Defended former insurance company executives in a fraud suit regarding company’s financial performance and exposure.
- Prosecuted trademark claims by concert venue against music group regarding ownership of a popular Orange County music festival.
- Defended of former executive of fixed asset management firm related to claims of trade secret theft and breach of fiduciary duties.
Class Action and Multi-District Litigation
- Defended commercial real estate group in shareholder class action arising from its acquisition of commercial properties in downtown Los Angeles.
- Defended NASDAQ-traded Chinese online education provider in a shareholder class action for alleged fraud and breach of fiduciary duties.
- As client’s national counsel, managed day-to-day the local counsel defending approximately 400 individual lawsuits in nationwide pharmaceutical products liability litigation.
- Defended Santa Monica-based hedge fund and its principal in arbitration brought by former investors, asserting fraud and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Defended securities brokers in FINRA proceedings involving allegations of breach of fiduciary duties and self-dealing.
- Defended broker-dealer’s general counsel in an SEC administrative action involving allegations of unlawful conduct related to market-timing and late mutual fund trading.
Real Estate Disputes
- Prosecuted action on behalf of Chinese-owned real estate development company fraudulently induced to purchase a partially-completed project.
- Represented landlord in lease dispute against largest franchisee of Applebee’s Grill & Bar.
- Represented County of Los Angeles Assessor in taxpayer appeal relating to tax assessment of a foreign-registered corporate jet. Machavia, Inc. v. County of Los Angeles, 16 Cal. App. 5th 1050 (2017).
- Represented County of Los Angeles Assessor in taxpayer appeal relating to assessment of fleet of on-demand, private jets. Jetsuites, Inc. v. County of Los Angeles, 16 Cal. App. 5th 10 (2017).
- Represented respondent financial guaranty company in an appeal by appellant bond issuers of summary judgment order dismissing appellants’ fraud claims. Retirement Hous. Found. v. ACA Fin. Guar. Corp., Cal. Ct. App., 2d Dist., Case No. B262918.
Shane W. Tseng