Christopher M. Stevens‘ national practice focuses on representing defendant manufacturers in complex, multiparty toxic tort, environmental and groundwater contamination litigation, and product liability litigation from commencement through trial. Mr. Stevens has played a significant role in the development and implementation of case management orders, consolidated discovery and other complex litigation management tools that serve as a national model.
Mr. Stevens has advised numerous manufacturers and trade associations advocating liability reform efforts in various jurisdictions, has provided expert legislative testimony and executive branch counsel, and has successfully defended liability reforms facing constitutional challenges at the appellate level.
Mr. Stevens has lead attorney jury trial and bench trial experience. His practice has emphasized the representation of manufacturers, power companies, public utilities, steel companies, and trade associations confronted with complex and difficult litigation. A significant portion of Mr. Stevens’ practice is on behalf of manufacturers of specialty coatings. Mr. Stevens is active in the ongoing development of expert scientific, medical, and state-of-the-art defenses.
Product Liability and Environmental Litigation
- Successful defense judgment for manufacturer of electrical components in complex litigation claiming manufacturer responsible to remediate VOC contamination in Southern California drinking water supply
- Counsel to companies with asbestos liabilities seeking transparency between 524(g) trust claiming practices and discovery obligations in the State of California
- Counsel to consortium of manufacturers as technical expert regarding trial practice, 524(g) trust fund procedures, and civil tort system evidentiary and discovery issues in the State of Ohio
- Court appointed appellate liaison counsel on behalf of state defense bar during appellate challenge to medical criteria reform legislation
- National experience preparing, representing, defending, and examining the leading scientific, medical, naval, and manufacturing experts utilized in toxic tort liability trials
- Defense of mass tort and toxic tort claims involving asbestos, talc, benzene, lung cancer, colon cancer, and mesothelioma
- Resolution of thousands of toxic tort cases through negotiation and development and implementation of substantive and procedural defenses on local and national level
Business and Commercial Litigation
- Trial of breach of fiduciary duty and partnership dissolution and accounting disputes
- Trial of commercial real estate transactions and funding disputes
- Trial of residential property title disputes involving malfeasance and fraud
- Trial of insurance coverage disputes
- Trial of personal injury and wrongful death claims
- Arbitrations before National Association of Securities Dealers
- Arbitrations of construction and design defect litigation on behalf of developers and financial institutions
- Mediation of numerous disputes including cases involving personal injury, mental and physical disability, breach of contract, health, life and disability insurance coverage, employment, and commercial transactions
- Litigation regarding defective manufacturing equipment and warranty claims
Recent Publications and News
- “As Ohio Goes, So Goes the Nation? Ohio’s Trust Fund Transparency is a National Model”
Volume 35, Issue 13/April 12, 2013
- Christopher M. Stevens Quoted in Law360 Article on Proposed Federal Asbestos Transparency Legislation
March 13, 2013
- Stevens Makes Second Appearance Before Ohio General Assembly
April 4, 2012
Memberships & Involvement
- Inner City Law Center Fundraising Committee, 2013.
- Los Angeles Athletic Club
- CA Bar
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- Syracuse University, J.D.
- Boston University, B.A.
- 2015.05.27 – Case Management Order Requiring Disclosure Of Bankruptcy Trust Claims.pdf
- 2014.05.13 – LKP Global Law Notice and Motion Re LASC Bankruptcy Trust Transparency.pdf
- 2014.05.13 – LKP Global Law Exhibits Re Motion Re LASC Bankruptcy Trust Transparency.pdf
Stevens, Christopher M.